Office of Councillor Jeff Leiper, Kitchissippi Ward, Ottawa | (613) 580-2485  |
Responsive image

Sherbourne construction coming soon

You are here

Construction is coming soon to the north end of Sherbourne Road.  Pre-construction activities will begin in late July with actual construction coming in early August. Here is the flyer the City recently distributed to residents within or near the construction zone.


Sherbourne Road

Watermain Replacement Project

Contract No. ISD17-5116



July 2017


Dear Resident,


Beginning in August 2018, the City of Ottawa will begin work in your neighbourhood. This work is being conducted to rehabilitate the watermain, sanitary sewer and roadway in your community.


WHO:             The City of Ottawa has retained the Contractor, Ottawa Greenbelt, to complete the work.


WHY:             The City of Ottawa has identified the need to rehabilitate and replace the watermain and services along Sherbourne Road due to the age and condition of the existing watermain.


WHAT:          Work will involve the rehabilitation and replacement of the watermain and services to the residential property lines on Sherbourne Road and Redwood Avenue. Work will also include rehabilitation of the asphalt roadway, as well as replacement of the sanitary sewer and services on Redwood Avenue.


WHERE:        Sherbourne Road, from Knightsbridge Road to Dovercourt Avenue.  Redwood Avenue, from Keenan Avenue to Dovercourt Avenue.


WHEN:          Construction activities are currently scheduled to begin late-July 2018. The work is expected to be substantially completed in late-Fall 2018, with final asphalt paving scheduled for Spring 2019.


The City of Ottawa Noise By-law (2017-255) allows construction activity to occur weekdays between 7 am and 10 pm. On Saturdays, work is permitted between 7 am and 10 pm while Sunday and statutory holiday work is allowed between 9 am and 10 pm.


Accessibility is an important consideration for the City. If you require special accommodations, please contact the undersigned. Provisions in the contract have been made in order to ensure Para Transpo vehicles are able to access the apartment buildings within the limits of this project.

Construction Disruptions

The Contractor is assuming full responsibility for the construction work until the work is entirely complete. The Contractor will take every precaution necessary to minimize interruptions to the everyday life of your family and/or operation of your business, but as you can appreciate, there may be some inconvenience during the course of the work, such as delays and traffic detours when travelling through the construction zone, noise, dust and vibration. We would like to thank you in advance for your patience and co-operation.

On-Street Parking and Traffic

To accommodate the construction, Sherbourne Road will be reduced to one through lane during working hours while alternating traffic direction with flag persons.  Redwood Avenue will be closed while maintaining local and emergency access.  During construction, on-street parking will be prohibited.

The Contractor is responsible for the provision of a safe and accessible path of travel for all pedestrian through and/or around the construction site at all times.

The Contractor is required to ensure that homeowners have access to their properties. In the event that access to your driveway is restricted due to construction activities, a temporary On-Street Parking Permit (orange form) will be issued by the On-Site Inspector to authorize on-street parking within a few blocks of your residence outside of the project limits.

Impact on the Right-of-Way and Adjacent Private Properties

The road and watermain reconstruction is within the City’s right-of-way but may result in some disruption to part of the private property directly adjacent to the work.  Lawns, pathways, gardens and/or driveways may be disturbed.  The affected areas will be reinstated as soon as possible after construction is completed, at no cost to you.  However, if you have plants or any other assets located within the City’s right-of-way that you want to preserve, we suggest that you may care to move the plants in preparation for the construction work.

You may feel vibrations at your home or business due to the use of heavy equipment needed to complete the construction project.  This is quite common and not usually a problem. 

Pre-Construction Survey

The Contractor is also required by the City to carry liability insurance before any work may proceed.  You may be asked by the contractor’s insurance agent for permission to survey your property before the work commences, as Contractors typically conduct pre-construction inspections to document existing conditions for their own purposes.  It is to your benefit to allow the inspection to be conducted on your property, as it may assist with establishing the impact, if any, that construction has had at your property after work is complete.  In addition, you may wish to complete your own survey of pre-construction conditions on your property.  Your survey should include photographs. 

Private Water Services

One element of the reconstruction project is the replacement of the watermain under the road. This work will include replacement of the small water pipe that supplies water to your property, known as the “water service.”  The water service extends from the watermain to your building.  Part of the water service is located within the City’s property and part of the water service is located on your private property.  This reconstruction project will replace that part of the water service that is located on the City-owned property.  The City will only replace the City-owned portion of the water service between the watermain and your front property line.  This will be done at no cost to you.  The private section of the water service (on your property) between the front property line and your building is known as the private water service. The private water service will not be replaced as part of the City project.

If your house/building was built prior to 1960, there is a possibility that your private water service may have been constructed using lead pipe (modern pipes are copper or HDPE).  There is information available on the City’s website regarding lead in drinking water, how to determine if you have lead plumbing pipes and the City’s Lead Pipe replacement Program.

If you decide to replace your private water service because of existing lead pipe or simply preventive maintenance due to the pipe’s age, there are a few options available for you to consider.  In all cases, you as the property owner are responsible for the cost of this replacement, as you own the pipe located on your property. 

Option 1

You may choose to do the work yourself by hiring your own contractor.  The only constraint is that you may not carry out your work while the City is working on the street and replacing your water service up to your property line.  Concurrent work on your adjacent land may create a safety hazard for the City’s contractor and/or for your contractor.  Once the City’s work is complete, you may replace your private water service at any time thereafter.

Option 2

The City does have a Lead Pipe Replacement Program where the City carries out the replacement on behalf of the property owner; however, it is not set up to work with any concurrent City road, sewer or watermain construction.  The program covers the replacement of both the private water service and the City-owned portion of the water service when no other City construction is planned.  Since, as part of the current City project, the water service will be replaced up to your front property line, the Lead Pipe Replacement Program will only be available to you up to 2 years after the completion of the planned watermain work.  Under the Lead Pipe Replacement Program, the City cannot replace the private water service until the watermain work is completed for the same safety reasons described in Option 1.  Please note that you are responsible for all costs under this program.  Please contact the Water and Wastewater Services Customer Information at 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) ext. 22300 if you have further questions about the Program. 

Lawn Irrigation Systems

If you own a subsurface lawn irrigation system, please notify the City’s Project Manager identified below.

Fire Supply Interruption

In addition, during construction, water will be supplied to buildings by temporary water lines. Municipal fire suppression will continue during this temporary period. Please note that private home/building fire suppression systems could be impacted as temporary water is being provided for domestic consumption purposes only. If you 

have a home/building fire suppression system, you are recommended to make arrangements with a fire protection services company in order to determine the extent of any impact. For information on minimizing your fire risk contact the City’s Fire Services at (613) 580-2424 ext. 15371 (East) or ext. 15372 (West). We apologize in advance for any disruptions in water service during construction. Any problems with the temporary water services can be directed to our on-site construction inspector, or call the City of Ottawa at 3-1-1.

Temporary Water Services

During the watermain reconstruction, your property will be placed on a temporary water service. While your property will be on this temporary water service, your water usage will be estimated since the temporary service is not metered. Your water bill will be based on your past average water usage. If you have any questions please contact Revenue at (613) 580-2444 or

Contact Information

The On-Site Inspector assigned to this project is Ken Barton. He will be available to address any questions or concerns you may have.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact:


City’s Project Manager:                                                 City’s Contract Administrator:

Patrick Chamney, P.Eng.                                                Roxanne Tubb, P. Eng.

Senior Engineer, Design and Construction                     Contract Administrator

Planning, Infrastructure and Economic                           Jp2g Consultants Inc.

Development Department                                               1150 Morrison Drive, Suite 410

100 Constellation Drive                                                   Ottawa, ON K2H 8S9

Ottawa, ON K2G 5J9                                                      Tel: 613-828-7800

Tel: 613-580-2424, ext. 28929                                       E-mail:



City’s On-Site Inspector:

Ken Barton

Construction Technician

City of Ottawa

100 Constellation Drive

Ottawa, ON K2G 5J9

Tel: 613-762-8349


Posted July 20, 2018